Friday 5 February 2010

We are signing the "Acte de Vente" today!

I imagine by the time you are reading this, we will be the proud owners of a large old house down in the sunny Languedoc Roussillon. Yes, we are off to the notaire’s office late afternoon today to sign the “Acte de Vente” and then, huge key in hand, we will open the door and fling open the shutters to let the light in.

I often think that life is about moments and the good ones are to be remembered. In this world so many of us tend to be constantly planning our next move, working out what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next year. There is nothing wrong with that of course, it needs to be done, but moments like this really do deserve to be cherished. My husband and I have both always adored France and for us, this really will be a dream moment.

Our agent has been marvellous: not only has she liaised magnificently with the Church regarding the contents of the house, some of which we are keeping, she has made us appointments with the local bank and a couple of builders so that we can really get our teeth into renovating this property from the start. We even have an invitation to dinner to meet some of our neighbours! A good agent is a must. You can find out more about how to go about finding decent property agents and other professionals in my France Buying Guide www.francebuyingguide.com/guide.htm

I am lucky enough to have a husband whose idea of heaven is to be in a tool shop. A film production designer by trade, his skills extend to installing bathrooms, kitchens, floors, painting – I could go on. His French language skills do not quite come into the same category however and for this he will largely be relying on me so I have a feeling we will make quite a good team and he will no longer be pointing to obscure drill bits in shops such as M. Bricolage, he will have me to translate. I love the French language and would encourage anyone to try their hand at brushing their French up before embarking on a life there. I have some tips for you on how best to go about this in my Guide.

I am so looking forward to my next blog, no doubt I will have a tale or two to tell from our first few days in our house. One of the first things I intend to do is to go and introduce myself to our “maire”. I am hopeful he will be as pleased as we are that this glorious but faded house will be breathing new life in the coming months. And who knows where that will lead? New friends, new experiences and a great deal of sunlight await us down in the South of France.

Until next week...

Alexis Goldberg

mailto:Alexis@OverseasGuidesCompany.com

No comments:

Post a Comment