Friday 14 May 2010

Bureaucracy, Bikes & Roses

Napoleon’s influence remains strong in France. His “Code Civil” is still the basis of French law and thus bureaucracy rules here. This, coupled with a somewhat endearing laid back attitude to life in the south means we still await permission to take down the tower in our garden, reconstruct our balcony and change 2 windows into doors to the outside. I popped in to the Mairie this week to see if we had any answers yet. I was met with a smile and a very Gallic shrug: “Non, Madame, pas encore.” The good news is that if we have no news by this time next week, we can go ahead and start the work. Patience is a virtue and anyway, we have plenty to be going on with in the meantime.

Our builder took down the accro supports in the kitchen and Mr. Fix It and I have been measuring up and pondering the design. It is a wonderful space, panning out at the end where we will have our table and door to the garden. The sun streams through in the early evening and I look forward to the day when I don’t see beads of dust in the shafts of light.

Mr. Fix It dusted off our second-hand €60 bike and the dogs and I have enjoyed meandering along the bank of the canal close by, they on their 4 legs, me on 2 wheels. Cycling is very popular in France and we look forward to the Tour de France passing nearby very soon. The four of us, Mr. Fix It and I and Eddie & Alfie, have become a close family in the absence of our adult children who are now scattered around the globe each pursuing their own dreams. As I pedalled along at a leisurely pace, I thought of my son Saul who is quite incredibly about embark on a much longer “Tour”: a “Tour de l’USA.” He and his good friend Augustin, a French friend from university days, will set off in just 11 days’ time from west to east, travelling over 3,600 miles in 2 months. Why? To raise money and awareness for the most appalling of illnesses: motor neuron disease, from which his dear uncle, Tony Judt, suffers. I am full of admiration for them; their commitment, selflessness, bravery and desire to help astound me. Take a look at their website and feel free to spread the word around, everyone should know about this. http://www.moveforals.com/

I wish for Saul and Augustin a good tail wind and soft sunshine as we so often have down here in the Languedoc Roussillon. Meanwhile, I shall carry on with my own miniature “Tour de France” along the canal as Spring leads us into Summer.



Our garden design will have to wait a while but such is the beauty of nature that even in its rough, untouched state, it really is quite beautiful. The back wall is now covered in a beautiful ivy and we have roses aplenty. My dear stepdaughter, Rosie, is visiting us this weekend and I have taken great delight in picking some roses and greenery to adorn her bedroom. Even though we are frequently covered in building dust, little touches like this make a notable difference. My jasmine plant and herbs which I bought at the Flower Festival recently are thriving and we found a beautiful heavy black glass garden table at a knockdown price in our local Bricomarche. My list of stores and outlets can be found in my France Buying Guide: www.francebuyingguide.com/guide.htm

Eddie and Alfie don’t appear to have noticed that the garden is rather wild: they potter about amongst the roses and lie in the sunshine. We could all learn a lot from animals.

When the sun sets we are cosy in this grand house and still marvel at the beauty of our marble fireplaces. A glass of wine, a candle or two and some of those stunning roses lend a perfect atmosphere to our evenings here in France.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, Alexis, after this last post I'm pretty sure I'm buying a ticket south to visit! In all serious though, will the Tour be coming by your home? Brett and I were thinking of taking a weekend holiday somewhere that wouldn't not be too crowded and has good viewing of Le Tour, but also somewhere we can access via rail and not have to fuss over a car rental since finding parking in small towns will be near impossible, especially if Le Tour is passing through.

    ReplyDelete