Friday 13 August 2010

A Joyous Celebration Away From The Brickdust

We left the sunshine and the brick dust behind for a few days and flew to the UK to attend my daughter Natasha’s wedding to Sam. Sometimes in life we make our own luck and so it was that this beautiful celebration at a romantic outdoors location in Kent was perfect in every way. As the early evening sun came out to join us, I felt a moment of sheer joy as I watched my dear daughter sing and dance in her wedding dress.



To watch our extended families celebrating this, the happiest of marriages, was a delight. Natasha simply glowed and as I helped her get ready during her last moments of being single, I thought back to the day she was born and wondered where the time had gone. Occasions such as this happy one allow us to take stock and remember that life is to be enjoyed.



Having welcomed my son and his girlfriend Ana to our home ahead of the wedding, our good friends who came to take care of Eddie & Alfie enjoyed a week of celebration here in our village. The summer fete took place the weekend we were away and they were struck by the friendly and safe atmosphere all around us. Having renovated the house to at least a functional level so far, with 3 beautiful and spacious bedrooms to choose from, it was heart-warming to know that our dogs could stay in their own space and that our friends could enjoy something of a holiday as well.

We were welcomed home by 2 wet noses and 2 helicopter tails. To be back in the warm air of the South of France makes us happy and Mr. Fix It is now planning what he calls his “second phase”. Our kitchen design will be high on our list of priorities as well as installing heating ahead of the winter. This week sees us sourcing radiators, air conditioning units and the like.

Having had such a wonderful family time we are also planning ahead to next summer when we hope to welcome as many of them as would like to come. The house is large, open and welcoming and we have yet to meet anyone who has not been open mouthed in admiration at its proportions. Since the day we moved in here I have dreamed of a time when we can welcome everyone to this beautiful part of France.

Many people think of moving to France at some stage in their lives and I am truly lucky that Mr. Fix It and I shared just the same dream. When we drove down here on March 1st this year I can remember wondering what I would miss about the UK and hoping that the huge project we were taking on would not cause us to wonder if we were doing the right thing. I can say with hand on heart that I have not and do not miss one single aspect of life in the UK – and I know Mr. Fix It agrees. Even when it snowed in those early days here and we had to light 4 log fires to keep warm, I have never wanted to leave. Now that we have enjoyed the company of our family and friends and they know they can come and visit us here, that feeling is simply reinforced.

So as we toast my daughter Natasha and her husband Sam at the start of their married life together, we also toast ourselves, this house in all its grandeur and our own contentment at knowing this is our real home.



Alexis
http://www.francebuyingguide.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment